Welcome to the Original Online Meeting Group of CGAA. Visit http://cgaa.info for more information on our fellowship and program.
New people can register via this link.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:18 pm

Forum rules

Welcome! Any newcomer or member struggling with compulsive gaming is welcome to post here. We encourage you to post an introduction and ask for help.

To keep our discussions safe and respectful, we ask for:
* No offensive content.
* No debate. This is a mutual support forum, not a general discussion forum.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Winds of Change... 

State/Province/Country: Arizona - USA
Hello Everyone.

My name is Ben W. I am absolutely a gaming addict. Mostly on computers now but if I could find a PS2 Slim (My fave console) I'd probably buy it in a heartbeat. The goal of being here, of course, is to banish such thoughts and put an end to my gaming habits.

I am a lifelong gamer but, having joined another Anonymous Group (Over-Eaters Anonymous) I realized that gaming, like binge eating, has brought me nothing but misery. I have no friends except in church and at group. Not to say I haven't had friends but I've lost contact with them since relocating to Arizona about six-seven years ago.

I want to do other things with my time and energy. I want to improve my mind... not waste it. Yet, as hard as I try to stay away from PC games.. I feel like a moth trying to fly away from a light source. Like I'm swimming as hard as I can.. but always against the current. The harder I try, the stronger the current becomes.

I am hoping that, with the help of CGAA, I will finally learn how to keep this problem at bay. I know there is no cure.. at least not yet.. but The Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins with a Single Step.

(Sorry if I sound like I'm rambling or just talking without ceasing.. I fear my social etiquette leaves much to be desired).

Looking forward to meeting you in the Virtual Rooms!

Ben W. (Arizona)

Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:43 am

State/Province/Country: Virginia
Welcome Ben! Glad you found us. Come join us on some voice meetings. We have them daily at 7pm, Fri-Sun at 10:30am, and Mon-Wed at 5:30pm MST. Directions for Mumble or Plumble are at http://cgaa.info/directions-for-mumble/
Quote:
Like I'm swimming as hard as I can.. but always against the current. The harder I try, the stronger the current becomes.

Yes, I can very much relate to this. I tried for years to gain control on my own. The longer I tried, the harder it became, the less I could resist. That's the progressive nature of addiction.

Abstinence and recovery from compulsive gaming are definitely possible. We have many members who have been off games for many months or several years. Most of us also seem to have addictions attached to more than one compulsive behavior, so you're definitely not alone there either.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:40 pm

State/Province/Country: Sydney, Australia
Hi Ben and welcome to CGAA,

I can relate to your story and the way you express how you're feeling. Come to some of the meetings in mumble and get to know people listen to the support and you'll find ways of taking those small steps you are looking for.

Hope to see you at a meeting soon.

Hugs
Tam

Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:12 pm

State/Province/Country: Arizona USA
Hi Ben,
Welcome! You have definitely come to the right place. I also live in AZ (except for summers). I've been in OA for 27 yrs and in Feb put down my games. I celebrated 5 months on Sunday! One day at a time it is possible! My number is 480-228-8062 feel free to call if you wish. If not available at that time I'll get back to you. I also do text. Again welcome and hope to meet you soon. Mary G

Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:05 pm

State/Province/Country: Girona
Hi Ben, wellcome to CGAA. :welcome:

It's possible to stay away for gaming. Now you aren't alone! iIf you come to the meetings you will meet people in the same situation like us. I encourage you to participate and share your history, thoughts, fears...we are here to help each other.

This helped me too much when I was quitting gaming and when I almost relapsed "One day without gaming is a good day".

See ya!! :thumbsup:

Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]