Welcome to the Original Online Meeting Group of CGAA. Visit http://cgaa.info for more information on our fellowship and program.
New people can register via this link.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:17 pm

Forum rules

Welcome! Any newcomer or member struggling with compulsive gaming is welcome to post here. We encourage you to post an introduction and ask for help.

To keep our discussions safe and respectful, we ask for:
* No offensive content.
* No debate. This is a mutual support forum, not a general discussion forum.

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 New CGAA member saying hello + my story (short form) 

State/Province/Country: NC, USA
Hello! I am glad that yall are here and I look forward to getting involved in the community!

My sobriety date is March 7th, 2015 at 12:00 PM EST (Server downtime ftw! or "fts!"). I am 32 years old (and I am a dude, in case the name throws some of you).

I consider myself a broad spectrum gaming addict. For me, a game is a game is a game. I play table-top pen and paper games (e.g. DnD, Pathfinder) addictively, customizable card games (e.g. Magic) by myself, board games obsessively, console games games without ability to self-regulate, computer games with abandon, and MMORPGs until 10 AM in the morning (but not all at once!).

I played my first video game at age 4 or 5 and have been gaming addictively since I was very young (12 or so?). I've been aware that I had a problem and that gaming was holding me back from my life since age 16. The longest I have gone without gaming was 6 months once when I was 18 or 19. Then I decided that I could control my gaming again, dove back in, swore it off again, made it 2 or 3 months, etc... until finally I gave up trying to give up and just enjoyed it until that stopped being a thing, too.

My life being in a state of going no where very slowly and gaming no longer offering a solution to my problems (in fact, it was the source of many of them), I became willing to go to any lengths to get what I had long known was available to me in a 12 step fellowship- happy, joyous and free of my compulsion to game.

I got sober via another fellowship and am finally making my way into CGAA so I can find fellow gaming addicts to work my recovery with.

I am happy to speak with anyone about my struggles with gaming, getting sober, and living sober.

Lastly, I would like to start a face-to-face meeting in the Raleigh-Durham area of North Carolina sometime in the future.

Morgan

Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:39 pm

State/Province/Country: Virginia
Hi Morgan, welcome! Glad you found us here and looking forward to meeting you in the meetings.

I got sober in another fellowship too. I find that the combination of face-to-face meetings of other fellowships and the voice meetings of CGAA work well for me.

It's exciting to hear you plan to start a face-to-face meeting at some point. I put a contact email of raleighdurham@cgaa.info on our list of Local Support Groups. Can I have it forward to your email address?

Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:08 pm

State/Province/Country: NC, USA
Yes, you can do that. I will PM you the email address I would like you to forward to.

The face-to-face meetings are important. I don't have a problem with alcohol beyond a very clear need to stay away from it and perplexing desire to drink, so I find it a little difficult feeling connected in AA sometimes. At the same time, I don't think I could stay sober without AA meetings in my life. The in-person human connections and the fellowship before and after are just as big a part of my sobriety as are the shares I hear in meetings.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]