Welcome to the Original Online Meeting Group of CGAA. Visit http://cgaa.info for more information on our fellowship and program.
New people can register via this link.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 10:51 pm

Forum rules

Welcome! Any newcomer or member struggling with compulsive gaming is welcome to post here. We encourage you to post an introduction and ask for help.

To keep our discussions safe and respectful, we ask for:
* No offensive content.
* No debate. This is a mutual support forum, not a general discussion forum.

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Wanting help please. 

State/Province/Country: Washington
Hello.

I am here because I am addicted to video games so much that my addiction has hurt my life and the lives of loved ones.

I am 24 years old. I have been married for 2 years. I have been playing video games ever since I can remember. Video games have always been a part of my life, so much so that it consumes my thoughts and desires. I cant go an hour without thinking about games, thinking about playing games, or keeping up with gaming news. I think about video games so much that now I realize that I wasted my life on such a fleeting desire. Opportunities have gone by, relationships have been damaged, all because I want nothing more than to play games again.

I really realized this yesterday and looked into this site. I'm already trying to not play or want to play games anymore. I threw away my game informer, I deleted YouTube lets plays off of my phone, I even threw out a shirt that was related to a game I use to think was the best game ever.

Now it might sound like I'm already recovering and yeah I think that's true, but I could still really use support from people who know exactly what I'm talking about and have gone through it too. I haven't been to a meeting yet, I'm not quite sure how that works, but I am interested. Anyway I would love to talk to someone about this so please respond. Thank you.

Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:33 am

State/Province/Country: Colorado, USA
Hi, gyellow. I'm glad you found us.

Good for you that you have realized what the obsession with gaming has done to your life. You will find a lot of people here who can relate, I would guess. And good for you for taking action.

The action you have taken is a great first step. And some things in your life may start to get better right away. But a lot of us have found that some things get difficult at first. Many of us have experienced withdrawal symptoms (take a look at this page on our site: http://cgaa.info/gaming-withdrawal-symptoms/ ) which can last from a few days to a few months. Then there is the challenge of replacing gaming with productive activities. Me, I didn't know how to be productive. I wasn't organizing myself or my life, I was just retreating into games. It has taken me a while to build up something that I can now call a new life. It doesn't happen immediately.

That's where the fellowship comes in. I started coming to meetings daily when I stopped games, and I started calling other people and asking for support. It worked. Today I have a life that is extremely different from the one that I had. It's not easy, but change is possible. However, I could not have done it alone.

The online meetings are of two kinds: voice/chat (these are on mumble) and text chat only (these are on Stepchat). All of the instructions for joining are found on this page: http://cgaa.info/online-meetings/ ).
No one has to participate in a meeting, and you can be as anonymous as your username. :) If you don't have a mic but can listen, you can participate in the voice meetings by typing.

We recover together. I'm looking forward to seeing you at a meeting. Welcome to the fellowship.

You just won't live any life at all.

I was dan1 in a former life.

reddit: DansNewLife

Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:36 am

State/Province/Country: Virginia
Welcome G! I can relate to what you wrote. Compulsive gaming ran my life for years, ruining my marriage and other relationships, hurting my physical and mental health, messing up my work, crowding out my other hobbies, and leaving me tired, irritable and depressed. I'm really glad to be free of the compulsion and obsession.

Come to meetings. My life took a big turn for the better once I got connected with other people in meetings. I recommend reaching out and getting phone numbers. Like Jeff said, it's fine to just come and listen.

Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:34 pm

State/Province/Country: United Kingdom
Hello gyellow.

Once I realized that I have enough of gaming and that I hate what my addiction did to me and to others I destroyed my PC and crushed my laptop and uninstalled all the games from my phone. It's only helped me to stay away from gaming for some limited time. When an obsession stroked me out of sudden I was ready to go to internet café and stay there as long as it remained open, buy new laptop paying with credit card and do other insane things.
Even while I've believed that there is a power greater then myself that can help me stay away from gaming and at the beginning of every day I knelt down and prayed for one day without gaming it often didn't help. Turned out that my Higher Power wanted me to do something more about it. So I came to the meetings of CGAA. I've asked other addict to help me get through the program of action that this fellowship offers as a way to recover from what I believe to be a very complex illness. And I've focused on helping others whenever an opportunity arises. I don't play since then and I don't need to fight an obsession with my own will (it wouldn't be possible to win this way basing on my experience).

Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]