Welcome to the Original Online Meeting Group of CGAA. Visit http://cgaa.info for more information on our fellowship and program.
New people can register via this link.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:49 pm

Forum rules

Welcome! Any newcomer or member struggling with compulsive gaming is welcome to post here. We encourage you to post an introduction and ask for help.

To keep our discussions safe and respectful, we ask for:
* No offensive content.
* No debate. This is a mutual support forum, not a general discussion forum.

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Hello 

State/Province/Country: Brazil
Hello guys, I'm 3 weeks gaming free today. :claps:
I have always been a big time gamer, I had my ups and down with playing games. Today I think that I always played games for the feeling of having control of everything that was happening.
When I was 16 I used to play 16 hours strait now problem. And, not sure how, I had never had a problem with my education and social life (weird).
But was the past 2 to 3 months that everything changed. Before that I had a normal and BALANCED life. I came back from my studies abroad and was in between jobs when I started playing unhealthily. I don't know why but 3 weeks ago I got myself buying more and more games, playing them for hours, having a terrible sleeping time but most importantly: I was not happy playing. I was wasting my life, not doing what I had to do and not happy. I was sitting like a rock clicking and clicking feeling nothing.
Today I'm happier with what I'm doing, trying to use less the computer (I see that that is a great problem, stop gaming and starting using other things).
What I feel afraid of is the question that is always on my head:
Is it possible to someone that had a drinking problem to someday drink and not get that drinking problem again?
Should I be afraid of getting addicted again?

Nice to have you guys here, helped a lot on day 1!!! :hugs:

Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:05 pm

State/Province/Country: Virginia
Congrats on three weeks off games! That's great.
Quote:
Is it possible to someone that had a drinking problem to someday drink and not get that drinking problem again?
Should I be afraid of getting addicted again?

Among those who drink or game too much, there are people who have the mental condition called "addiction" and there are people who don't have that mental condition. People who do (addicts) are not able to moderate, and no matter how long they abstain, if they return to their addictive behavior, it will sooner or later spiral out of control again. People who do not have the mental condition of addiction are able to exercise control that addicts cannot, whether moderation, or sticking to limits and conditions, or deciding to stop for some length of time.

I recommend listening in on some meetings or some of the stories on the YouTube CGAA channel. If you find yourself relating to the obsession, compulsion, lack of control, withdrawal pains, and other signs of addiction, it may be that you have the mental condition and will not be able to safely game again. Best wishes to you.

Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]