Welcome to the Original Online Meeting Group of CGAA. Visit http://cgaa.info for more information on our fellowship and program.
New people can register via this link.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Public and non-public meetings 

Should the default for the group meetings be Public or Open-to-problem-gamers?
Poll ended at Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:06 pm
Group default remains Open-to-public 81%  81%  [ 13 ]
Group default changes to Open-to-problem-gamers-only 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 16

Public and non-public meetings 

State/Province/Country: NC, USA
With all due love and respect for the folks who prefer closed meetings, my greater concern is for the new-comer. Walking through the door the first time, without any concept of a program, is a hell of a lot harder than staying once you have a program- no matter what tumultuous jumbles may come along. So I am less worried (though still worried some) about someone currently in the program being forced out by open meetings than I am worried about a new-comer being kept out by closed meetings.

That said, if every single meeting decided to remain "open" on the first pass of meeting-level group consciousnesses, I would like for us to "force" some meetings to be closed. Tradition 4 says we ought be autonomous EXCEPT in matters affecting the fellowship as a whole, and everybody choosing to be open definitely affects the fellowship as a whole. But we'll cross that bridge when we get there (in another couple of months, no doubt).

Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:08 pm

State/Province/Country: Virginia
For clarification:

• We will definitely have both open-to-all (public) and open-to-problem-gamers-only (non-public) meetings.
  • The attendees of each meeting can decide their own status.
  • This thread is gathering info for a Original Online Meeting Group decision about whether we default to public meetings with a few non-public ones, or default to non-public meetings with a few public ones.
  • Both in CGAA and AA, I see strong resistance to using the word "closed". So, my proposal is: let's not use that word. Let's use the two "open-to" phrases above.

No newcomer will be kept out of meetings by calling them "open-to-problem-gamers meetings". We will be very clear that anyone who thinks they might have a problem with gaming is welcome to those meetings.

I should also say that we have very, very, very rarely had a family/friend in a CGAA meeting in the past 2 1/2 years. I think I've seen it once, and I'm not even sure it has been that much. I've never seen a journalist or other professional in one of our meetings. Even if someone decides to leave on the rare occasion that a public meeting has an observer, he or she will most likely be able to attend 99% of our meetings.

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:08 pm

State/Province/Country: Colorado, USA
Very good discussion--thanks, everyone for the input. Given that we have very very few visitors anyway and that each meeting gets to decide for themselves what they will do in any case, as well as the difficulty of even knowing if a visitor is present, I now think our default should be open-to-public meetings, so that will be my vote.

You just won't live any life at all.

I was dan1 in a former life.

reddit: DansNewLife

Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:36 pm

State/Province/Country: Rockland NY
My 2 cents.

1. I see the need for providing information about CGAA and meetings to the public. However I don't see how family members need to attend live meetings. We have recorded meetings on YouTube. We can record more meetings with all of the member's advance notice and explicit consent. I see no need for family members to attend open meetings at all. Unlike F2F meetings which are enhanced in person, live meetings online do not have much more educational value than recordings.

2. Our only primary purpose is to help the gamer that still suffers. Our goal is not to help the family members of gamers, although some of us may be involved in that outside of this fellowship. We aren't exclusive, but we do need some for of definition. W cannot be all things for all people.

Tradition 1. Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends upon C.G.A.A. unity.
Tradition 3. The only requirement for C.G.A.A. membership is a desire to stop computer/video gaming.
Tradition 5. Each group has but one primary purpose—to carry its message to the gaming addict who still suffers.
Tradition 10. Computer Gaming Addicts Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues; hence the C.G.A.A. name ought never be drawn into public controversy.

Therefore, if there is a reason why newcomers can benefit open meetings, that's another conversation. If however the conversation is whether we should take away a newcomer's options because we want to provide a meetings for family members, I feel that is an outside issue entirely.

3. Are we excluding anyone by requiring "a desire to stop computer/video gaming"? Yes. We are excluding everyone else.
If anyone feels that we are excluding Computer Game Addicts from attending meetings by using that language, please speak up.

Hershel

Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2