Welcome to the Original Online Meeting Group of CGAA. Visit http://cgaa.info for more information on our fellowship and program.
New people can register via this link.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 The town 

State/Province/Country: The Netherlands
I was alone, walking along the side of the road. Things were disastrous. I didn't have a home and nobody wanted me. My mobile phone was my only comfort. The games on it provided for a distraction of the cold, and it worked. Everybody who passed by asked whether I needed help. And I always declined. I had my phone with all these games, and they provided for all I needed. Because of the games I did not feel the cold.

Eventually the battery was empty. I had nowhere to go, nowhere to hide. All I had was the road and the cold. At this point I started noticing the holes in my coat. Eventually I came across a crossroads. I could choose where I went. One road got of significant less and less quality and led to a dark forest, while another led to a town.

The road heading in the direction of the town looked a lot better. It was paved and had a sidewalk. In addition to that there was street lighting.

Eventually, at night, I made the decision to go to the town. It was cold.... so cold. I started of on the road and, after a while of walking, I encountered some friendly persons. They gave me a new coat and even a hot cocoa! At first I refused. However, they showed me the state of my coat and assured me that the cocoa was perfectly fine and would warm me in this cold night, so I ended up accepting. The coat was nice and warm and the hot cocoa was delicious and warmed me on the inside.

They walked with me to town all the while telling me that they have come from the road too, but this town was wonderful and I would be accepted. We arrived at the town and, even though it was midnight by that time, there were others out and about. I saw lots of houses, some were completed and had a nice garden in front of them, others were in various stages of construction. Each of the houses looked different.

Then there were the various squares throughout town. When I came into town, these friendly strangers, whom were walking with me, suggested that I go to a square where others were. So, I did.

People at the square were talking about their house, what they were doing on its construction and maintenance and how much it meant to them. I wanted a house too, so I listened. It all sounded so difficult. When the group was done, I approached someone and said that I would like a house too but that it all sounded so difficult.

He suggested that I look around town at the various houses. It was suggested to me I approach the person whose house I liked to ask him to help me build my own. So, I started looking around town. Some houses were big, others were small. Some looked classical, others modern. The variation was endless. Each house looked different. Eventually, one drew my interest and I ringed the bell.

Someone opened the door and I talked with him about needing a house, but not knowing where to start... and the task seemed so overwhelming. He let me in and he started explaining to me how he built his house and that he was cold once too, like me, because he didn't have a house. He suggested I simply start with the foundation, and so I did.

There were several attempts needed, because the ground proved to be difficult to build on. But my newfound friend kept helping me. Once, my house had collapsed and I sat outside with desperation, cold again. My newfound friend encouraged to clean up and build a new house, a better one. One with a sturdy foundation. Everybody in town helped, so I did not feel alone or overwhelmed. It is only natural to help them too. So, whenever I can, I help another inhabitant of the town with his house.

I still live next to the person who helped me start construction on my house, and he still helps me with it. My house is nearly finished, so I can soon start with the garden. These days, on top of working on my own house, I help somebody else with building his house. When he showed up at my door, I let him in, gave him a new coat, a hot cocoa and a warm meal. After that I shared that, like him, I had it cold once, wanted a house and somebody learned me to build one. And I told him I want to help him build his. It will be his own warm, cozy house.

Recovery, like a house, needs a strong foundation lest it collapse. Recovery, like a house, needs maintenance and work. Recovery, like a house, you need to build together.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:51 pm

That's a delightful little analogy, Xander. Thanks for sharing it. It definitely provoked some thoughts on my part, so thanks for that.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:27 pm

State/Province/Country: The Netherlands
Now my house is finished and only needs to be maintained, I've got time for a garden much like the one I saw in front of other houses:

Plant three rows of peas:
Peace of mind
Peace of heart
Peace of soul

Plant four rows of squash:
Squash gossip
Squash indifference
Squash grumbling
Squash selfishness

Plant four rows of lettuce:
Lettuce be faithful
Lettuce be kind
Lettuce be obedient
Lettuce really love one another

No garden should be without turnips:
Turnip for meetings
Turnip for service
Turnip to help one another

Water freely with patience and Cultivate with love.
There is abundence in your garden.... Because you reap what you sow.

To conclude our garden, We must have thyme:
Thyme for God
Thyme for study
Thyme for prayer

Pretty nice garden!

Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:17 am

State/Province/Country: Sydney, Australia
Thank you Xander I simply love this. My own part of this town is still a work in progress but I'm thankful to be here.

Hugs Tam

Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:18 am

State/Province/Country: Rockland NY
Thats a wonderful parable X. Hopefully the home owner doesn't plug his phone back in!

Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:27 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]