Welcome to the Original Online Meeting Group of CGAA. Visit http://cgaa.info for more information on our fellowship and program.
New people can register via this link.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:17 pm

Forum rules

Welcome! Any newcomer or member struggling with compulsive gaming is welcome to post here. We encourage you to post an introduction and ask for help.

To keep our discussions safe and respectful, we ask for:
* No offensive content.
* No debate. This is a mutual support forum, not a general discussion forum.

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Introduction 

State/Province/Country: New York
My name is Makala W. and I know I'm definitely a gaming addict.
Gaming's been in my life for as long as I can remember it used to be just a hobby of mine until it started causing major consequences in my senior year of highschool in 2012. I'm not really sure what set me off in the first place, but gaming started to take the place of all the things I enjoyed like art, reading, and school.
I started to game from about 7:30am until I passed out around 4am of the next day. I rarely left the computer or took care of myself. Gaming brought me down so far and burned so many bridges. In the end, it wasn't even working for me anymore and I became desperate.
I eventually got myself kicked out of my mom's house and then soon after that, my dad's place. I stayed in a homeless shelter for awhile, where I started to get myself into drugs and alcohol. That soon led me into a halfway house for chemical dependency. I stopped the substance abuse, but I hadn't been honest about the gaming with the staff there and got into quite a bit of trouble as a result. I eventually just became tired with the fact that I wasn't going anywhere in my recovery and it finally hit me that it was my gaming that was holding me back. I told on myself to the staff at the residence and was discharged, but it was definitely worth it since it was the first time I'd ever been honest about my gaming. I've been sober/abstinent since April 3, 2015 (it was Good Friday on that day!) and ever since my life's been getting so much better.
I just recently moved out of another halfway house for chemical dependency (since there isn't any support for gaming in my area) and just moved into supportive living. I was hoping to find some more support here since I'm now living on my own and I want to do whatever I need to do to not relapse.
I'm currently an active member of Alcoholics Anonymous and have a someone who's willing to sponsor me even though my first and foremost addiction is to gaming. Unfortunately, there isn't much in the way of support for gaming addiction in my area (Upstate NY) and I would have joined a site like this sooner except that back then, I wasn't at the point where I could have used a computer safely.
I've been pretty much making up things as I go along, since I don't know anyone else who has a gaming problem like myself, but I'm hoping that I can get more tips and stuff from here!

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:36 pm

State/Province/Country: NC, USA
Hey Makala, congrats on making it here! I've been sober since March 7th 2015, so only a month or so before you. I, too, got sober in AA before coming here. If you've been hanging around AA for the past year and 9 months, then you already know what to do: work the steps and give it away every chance you get :) My favorite part about coming to CGAA has been finally being able to talk openly about my gaming and to use my experience to help others- something I could never do in AA (I don't have a drinking problem and, God willing, I never will).

If you are comfortable with leading a meeting and want to pick up service work, we have 3 online meetings that currently need a leader: Saturday @ 130 (has a temporary leader), Sunday @ 130, and Wednesday @ 830. We have a format and a pretty good list of topic ideas.

Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:22 am

State/Province/Country: Colorado, USA
Hi, Makala,
Welcome to the fellowship. I'm glad you aren't alone any more. It's good to have you here.

We have at least one active member in upstate NY, so there's hope! I don't know if you two are in the same city. I'm going to mention this post to him when I talk with him next.

Most of the "action" in our fellowship is in meetings, rather than here on the forum. The website shows how to join one.

See you at the meeting!

You just won't live any life at all.

I was dan1 in a former life.

reddit: DansNewLife

Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:58 am

State/Province/Country: Rockland NY
Hi Makala and welcome to CGAA.

I know that Rochester NY and Westchester NY may as well be on opposite sides of the universe, even those people in NYC call us both upstate NY. If you ever find yourself down this way, give us a holler.

Personally I tried NA meetings for my gaming but I never really identified with the NA members. To me, identification as a computer game addict is an important part of me realizing and accepting what I am. To us gaming was not a game. It was a cruel master that robbed us of everything we held dear. My first sponsor was a computer game addict that I found online who had only worked the steps in Al-Anon. I am sure that you could find a sponsor here if you want.

In recovery,
Hershel

Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]