Welcome to the Original Online Meeting Group of CGAA. Visit http://cgaa.info for more information on our fellowship and program.
New people can register via this link.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 4:04 am

Forum rules

Welcome! Any newcomer or member struggling with compulsive gaming is welcome to post here. We encourage you to post an introduction and ask for help.

To keep our discussions safe and respectful, we ask for:
* No offensive content.
* No debate. This is a mutual support forum, not a general discussion forum.

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Hi I'm new and I have a few questions 

State/Province/Country: Utah/South Jordan/United State
Hello everyone my name is Caleb and I recently decided to quit gaming. I just have a few question for those of you who have been through the initial part of quitting. How long did it take until the urge to play constantly faded if at all? Does having other hobbies you enjoy as much as gaming help? Is anyone completely free of gaming and doesn't feel the urge to play and how long did it take you to get there? Thank you to anyone who can help answer these questions and have a fantastic day! :D

Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:09 pm

State/Province/Country: Virginia
For me, the first 2 days off are the worst, especially when it is not on my own terms. After that, I realized I can do this on my own. I still have urges occasionally - I think last week I almost caved in. Fortunately I've been able to direct my energy into working out. It's pretty much this and school for me now. Once you replace gaming with a healthy hobby, you feel pretty much free from gaming. I've been off for 2 months now and last week was my first urge since I quit, and that was because I exposed myself to my "friends" who played the same game.
But yeah that's pretty much it for me now. I am happy to help if you need it!

Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:52 am

State/Province/Country: NC, USA
Hey Caleb, a great book to get and read is Alcoholics Anonymous's "Living Sober." As a gaming addict, I found that book very helpful as a practical guide to staying sober in early recovery. One the things it recommends is a healthy hobby.

Personally, when I was done I was done. I hit a 12 step program, started working that program, and never looked back. I don't think I even noticed my gaming-related struggles in early sobriety because I was so glad to finally be done gaming. That said, 2 years in, I still get subtle urges and thoughts. There are certain things I simply don't do so I don't have to worry about them triggering an urge:

1. I don't read gaming news anymore
2. I don't watch other people game
3. I don't talk about games with people
4. I don't daydream or fantasize about games anymore (twice in the past 2 years my old DND game master mind kicked in and I was fantasizing about dragons or thinking about the game in other ways; but I saw those for what they were and gradually let them pass from my mind over the course of an hour)
5. If I feel like something somebody else is doing around me is potentially triggering for me, I move or leave.

The one BIG thing I didn't do when I quit this last time was throw everything away. Every time I did that in the past when trying to quit, I didn't make it very far. Instead, I said good bye to my guild mates, grieved the loss of my days as a gamer (because it is a loss, in its own sense), and slowly gave away or sold off all of my gaming accounts and DND miniatures instead of destructively and punishingly throwing them out. I also was throwing myself into another 12 step fellowship to work on my recovery (I hadn't found CGAA at that time).

Hopefully we see you around in meetings!

Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:45 pm

State/Province/Country: Utah/South Jordan/United State
Thanks to everyone who responded it really helps! Glad to see we have a community that supports each other and is always happy to help!

Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]