Welcome to the Original Online Meeting Group of CGAA. Visit http://cgaa.info for more information on our fellowship and program.
New people can register via this link.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:53 pm

Forum rules

Welcome! Any newcomer or member struggling with compulsive gaming is welcome to post here. We encourage you to post an introduction and ask for help.

To keep our discussions safe and respectful, we ask for:
* No offensive content.
* No debate. This is a mutual support forum, not a general discussion forum.

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Concerned and Need help 

State/Province/Country: Pennsylvania
Hi,

When I was in 7th grade I had a really serious addiction to a game called Clone Wars Adventures. My parents noticed how bad it was and decided to take me to therapist. The therapist told me I have a very addictive personality and gave tips and help on how to stop the addiction. After 1 long and hard month I no longer had the urge or feeling or desire to play Clone Wars Adventures.

Now I'm in 11th grade and last Christmas my parents bought an Xbox and I bought gta5 and played the single player mode for GTA5 and got bored and never really touched that game again. I have a job work and I work often at my mom's office work place as a office support staff. I do usually hang out with my girlfriend and my friends outside of school at least once a week. I have social anxiety and I struggle a lot but I mostly am able to socialize with others. My grades aren't the best but they aren't like F's or D's. So I later heard how GTA online is a great game so I purchased a 3 moth membership to Microsoft live gold.

After a while of playing it I started to feel the urge to place it a lot and based off the info I've read already about video game adiction i think I maybe might have a problem. My grades are the same as before I started playing GTA online and my relationship with girlfriend is strong as before and I still work the same amount of hours but I'm starting to feel a need to play that game during my free time a lot and it kinda does consume a considerable portion of my free time. I'll get more nervous around ppl and sometimes struggle to be social with my peers. I have no problem giving up the controller when it's time to work or to study but I still got the urge to play it sometimes.

Do I have a problem that I need to solve?

Thanks

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:17 pm

State/Province/Country: California
Hello BMX dude1. "Am I an addict?" is a very common question that almost anyone who comes into CGAA wants a good definitive answer to. Unfortunately most agree that a clear-cut answer doesn't exist. Nobody can tell you whether you are or are not an addict. It is something you have to figure out and decide for yourself. There are some questions on the CGAA "20 questions" pages that might help you.

http://cgaa.info/self-test-for-video-gaming-addiction/

The simple fact that you're here probably says something about your relationship with gaming. I would encourage you to try and explore that by thinking about the role gaming plays in your life and whether or not gaming is helping or hindering your success and achievement.

Regardless of what conclusion you come to, I would also encourage you to come sit in on some of our meetings. Most (or all, I think) are "open" meetings that allow non-addicts, so feel free to stop by and listen in. Worst-case scenario is that you decide that you don't relate with what's being said, and you leave with some experience and wisdom that you didn't have before. No harm, no foul. This isn't an exclusive club and even if you don't identify as a gaming addict you'll find that many of the members would be more than happy to help you work through this personal struggle.

Here are the directions for Mumble, our voice chat client: http://cgaa.info/directions-for-mumble/

And here is our schedule: http://cgaa.info/online-meetings/

Our most populated meeting is typically the daily 10PM EST one.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:13 am

State/Province/Country: NC, USA
Hey BMX, many of us often only find our way into recovery from an addiction after the addiction has destroyed our lives to varying degrees. Yet many of us can also look back and see that, when we were younger, we were already in the throws of the disease- it just hadn't manifested at a level that caused us significant enough consequences.

Myself, I first started to consider that maybe gaming was not the thing for me to be doing when I was 16. It wasn't until I was 30 that I got sober. In the time in between, sure I had girlfriends, varying degrees of a social life, and got a good education at school- I was somewhat high-functioning. But what I also did was hurt myself and others on multiple occasions (either directly because of my gaming or indirectly through some of the other symptoms of my disease), missed out on a LOT of happiness in life, and eventually put my life in a total state of go-no-where-ness.

Today I am 32, but I don't like to admit that because I missed so many years of my life while still bound up with video games and social anxiety (and gaming to cope with social anxiety). When I got sober, I lived with my grandmother, had no career and barely a job, and no hope of making friends or a girlfriend in the future. Today, I am sober, employed, still living with my grandma but enjoying it much more (free rent!), and have some hope of having a healthy relationship with a woman one day. But mostly I am just better able to enjoy life and cope with its difficulties.

When I was 16 I thought I had a problem and had some sense that a better life for me was available if I'd just stop gaming; but I guess I just didn't want that better life bad enough. I had to suffer a bit more first.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:28 pm

State/Province/Country: Colorado, USA
Hi, BMX, welcome to the fellowship.

I think it's great that you are noticing this when you are young. Before you have thrown away years of your life.

Gately and Morgan are right on. Only you can decide where you are and what you need and want. I'm glad you found us.

The only thing I'll suggest is yes, please come to some meetings, listen and meet people. After a few meetings you'll get a sense of whether you belong here and want to be here. And anyone who thinks they might have a problem with gaming is always welcome.

See you at the meeting....

You just won't live any life at all.

I was dan1 in a former life.

reddit: DansNewLife

Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]