Welcome to the Original Online Meeting Group of CGAA. Visit http://cgaa.info for more information on our fellowship and program.
New people can register via this link.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 DST Reminder! Meetings now 1 hour earlier 

State/Province/Country: NC, USA
For those of yall NOT in the US, we just had Daylight savings time change on Sunday. What was 1230 EST is now 130 EST, so the meetings are now 1 hour earlier than you might have previously planned- unless you live in an area that also adjusted its clocks one hour earlier.

The Sunday 130 meeting will be held 1 hour later today since I figure a lot of folks not in the US will be showing up then for a meeting....

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:39 pm

State/Province/Country: Colorado, USA
This is a weird problem that happens twice a year.

For two weeks, things will be different for our European members, then, when they go to daylight savings on March 26, the meetings will be the same time as before for them, since they are in the Northern hemisphere.

For our Australian members, it's worse: There is an hour change when we go ON daylight time, and then in a few weeks, they go OFF of it, so by April the meetings will be TWO hours different than they were last month.

Unfortunately, the planet is round and we don't have World Time quite yet, so this problem will happen twice a year, whether we want it to or not. :(

One thing that might help Europeans--maybe the 1:30 meeting should be tied to European time, since it seems to have more Eruopean members. Then those of us in the U.S. would have to adjust our meeting times for the months of March and October. It might be good for us to accommodate to others. :)

For help with this, I use the World Time Clock.
https://www.timeanddate.com/

You just won't live any life at all.

I was dan1 in a former life.

reddit: DansNewLife

Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:45 pm

Tying it to their time is one option. Another is to list the GMT time for the meeting as well as the EST time. It is true that the 130 meetings are predominantly Non-US due to that being their evening.

M

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:39 pm

State/Province/Country: The Netherlands
UTC is the internet standard for time. UTC does not have daylight savings while GMT does. Why not switch notation for all internet meetings to UTC?

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:47 pm

I'm not sure the average person (including myself) would find that an easy way to find out the meeting times. In North America, folks are accustomed to hearing things in terms of EST and can usually quickly convert 10PM EST to their local time, for example.

I don't know what that easy relative timezone for Europe would be; but I suspect it is also not UTC.

I think, for me, the goal is to make it as easy as possible for the newcomer to quickly figure out what time the next meeting is relative to them. The rest of us will survive missing a meeting or two during the biennial DST chaos.

I suppose another option would be adding a clock to the website that shows the local time relative to EST or whatever timezone we settle on. I know that's possible; but is it easy?

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:36 pm

State/Province/Country: The Netherlands
[removed; inflammatory, not my intention]

See this thread for what I was trying to point out.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]