Welcome to the Original Online Meeting Group of CGAA. Visit http://cgaa.info for more information on our fellowship and program.
New people can register via this link.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:26 pm

Forum rules

Welcome! Any newcomer or member struggling with compulsive gaming is welcome to post here. We encourage you to post an introduction and ask for help.

To keep our discussions safe and respectful, we ask for:
* No offensive content.
* No debate. This is a mutual support forum, not a general discussion forum.

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Hello there I am New and here is my story:) 

State/Province/Country: British Columbia
Hello, I have been a gaming addict for well over 15 years. Its got the point that I have lost all my social contacts. Ignored my family and real life friends. My support system in the real world is terrible. I am not young. I am 54 gong on 55. My gaming addiction started slowly around 18 years ago I was hit by a car. Unable to work. To deal with my pain I started console games. It started a pattern I have never seemed to break out of. My husband, who did love me dearly, was an enabler. I went from console game to FFx1, a huge mistake. Stopped playing deleted my account and stopped gaming. But one day I was suffering the urge to play and saw an add for World of Warcraft. Of course, I bought it. played for five years. My whole life was affected. My husband suggested I stop and I did for a while. But then WOW had that ad.. Chuck Norris plays wow. Even William Shatter, and Mr. T. So, it cant be that bad. Right? I went back, huge mistake! Even got involved in a fantasy relationship with someone online which made it more EXCITING from a female perspective. Thank goodness I ended that BS pretty quickly and learnt to be honest about my martial status and age after that.

I Stopped playing World of Warcraft about six years ago because I was told I was terrible at the game. So replaced it with Sims 3. I did not just play relaxed game. I had to become a huge builder there. Share my work. Become famous. after all, I have zero self esteem in real life and fear about everything. About five years ago my husband intervened and I slowed down but then the addiction took over my life again. He would suggest i just play 3 hours a day. I know now i can not just play 3 hours a day. At first i can. But then the addiction takes over and time in game increases. Both he and I always thought I would control it. It’s important to know he was a total enabler and has never had a history of addiction in his family. He is a gentle man, he did not have tools to deal with it. Nor did he deal with it well.

After Sims 3, I started playing guild wars 2 which I have to say was the least addictive game because there was little progression in gear. I could handle playing that part time and taking care of the house and cooking. Etc. But that lead to Final Fantasy and Archeage more dangerous addictions. Then after that I started Sims 4. Just played it talking with friends on curse socially. But all the time ignoring my husband and my duties to the house and my real life. Then I started to share in Sims 4 and the addiction became totally overwhelming. In fact, even worse. They are making that game like social media. Its VERY dangerous and horrible. I shared for a year and got 1372 followers.. yes FOLLOWERS, so stupid. Finally two days ago my husband came home told me he is selling the house and I he will split the money with me. He is done. Unfortunately he was an enabler. And I never really felt that he would leave me. We have been married for 26 years. I am not addicted to anything but games. I am not a drug addict or anything. When you asked for a divorce at the age of 54. You whole life grinds to a halt. You finally realize that you have a PROBLEM!!!!

I come from family that suffers addiction problems. My mother was a raging alcoholic. She never wrote a letter of apology to me about her behavior I always wanted one. So that was my first step to write my feelings to my husband, own my problem and truly apologize for my addiction. My next step is to share a creation and tell my followers, that I am leaving due to online gaming, if I can save one person from doing what I did, my life journey is worthwhile. Don’t worry I have already made the creation three days ago before my life came crashing down. So all I need to do is log in that game for ten seconds write something. Post it, and leave.

I don’t have much for a lady of my years because of online gaming. I have lost everything. I need help so much. I called the first crisis line for online gamers i found in the area. I was told it was for males only so go away. Then i started looking and trying to find other places and read the story of a 79 woman who founded CGAA. I came here. I need people I can talk too. Who share my desire for a life outside of gaming addiction. Who have traveled my road. I want to be healthy again. I have even entertained the idea of ending my life. I was going to do it yesterday but I did not have enough morphine for a fatal dose. If I were to do it. I don’t want survive. Anyways thank you so much for reading I am trying to be as honest I can about my problem which has finally taken me to my rock bottom.

Thank you for listening to my story. I have been 3.5 days free of gaming now so I feel I am doing pretty good. Also someone should sue these companies, they know what they are doing. Which is why we sign a disclaimer when we start playing.

Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:36 pm

State/Province/Country: Virginia
Welcome lyn, glad you found us here. Definitely sounds like you're in the right place.

We've had members of all ages. I'd guess that we've had as many people who were 30 or older as those who were younger, with several of us in our 40s, 50s and 60s. Like other addictions, gaming addiction does not discriminate based on age.

Congrats on three days free! I hope you've made a fourth. I know how hard the first few weeks are. The best thing I did to cope and make it through sober was to go to plenty of CGAA meetings. We don't have any up in BC yet, but we have online meetings twice per day (three times on Mondays and Tuesdays). Also, many of us have found it helpful to sit in and listen to some face-to-face AA or NA meetings, even though the type of addiction is different, the process of recovery is very similar.

Hope to see you at tonight's meeting. One day at a time.

Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:11 pm

State/Province/Country: British Columbia
Thank you so much i am having issues with getting the right information for the mumble. Its like god is testing me. But i have work tonight and i will not be tempted by gaming tonight. Looking forward to meeting you too.

Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]