Welcome to the Original Online Meeting Group of CGAA. Visit http://cgaa.info for more information on our fellowship and program.
New people can register via this link.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 12:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 I was at this restaurant with my gf... 

State/Province/Country: California
And it was a really small hole-in-the-wall type place, so the tables were really close together, and there was an older guy and what looked like his young adult son at the table right next to mine. The young adult (19 or 20, I'd guess) was playing some JRPG thing with his phone while the older guy sat in pensive silence. The kid would hunch over and stare at his phone for a minute, and then look up and make eye contact with his dad, and they'd "talk" for maybe ten seconds (until the opponent's turn was over), and then go back to the game for another minute. I remember being in that same position. The talking was never talking. When I was gaming I would have been totally happy to not talk to anyone at all. But my guilt would force me to make those brief, sad attempts to connect. I'd stare at my phone for a minute and then look up and say something totally meaningless, So this is a nice restaurant, isn't it? or So did you have a nice day today? and then look down again. It hurts me to think about how I behaved when I was gaming, and it hurt me to see someone else going through the same thing. I thought about it for the rest of the night. There was nothing I could do for him, but I resolved not to let his suffering go to waste. I am going to save that image, and also the pain I felt seeing it, and use them to remind myself of what I will become if I ever go back. Life is good without games.

Sun May 07, 2017 1:26 pm

State/Province/Country: Virginia
Thanks for sharing this story D. I've had similar experiences of seeing people do what I used to do in active addiction. It can bring up both pain and gratitude. It's good to feel the gratitude.
Life is good. :)

Sun May 07, 2017 10:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]