Welcome to the Original Online Meeting Group of CGAA. Visit http://cgaa.info for more information on our fellowship and program.
New people can register via this link.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 12:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Elephant In The Room 

State/Province/Country: Texas
I've been coming to CGAA for 1.5 months and have seen something which vexes me. In addition to my personal experience with technology addiction, I've witnessed countless fellows in CGAA suffering...yes suffering with technology addiction of one sort or another in addition to their computer gaming addiction. We're allowed to talk about our compulsive internet, social media, video site use in meetings, but there seem to be no help for us specifically. Why?

Where are the people who have been through the 12 steps and had a "spiritual awakening"? Is there someone in that category who can pick up a torch for us technology addicts who are indeed suffering?

There exists no fellowship. We've looked! We need a fellowship where we can not only talk about our technology addiction but get help for it specifically, help only the 12 steps provides.

Please! Someone help us!

Thank you,

Janice

Wed May 17, 2017 11:31 am

State/Province/Country: Virginia
Hi Janice, thanks for bringing up this topic. It is something that has come up repeatedly and our group conscience should probably address it by writing up a public piece for the website where we can direct people each time this issue arises.

Someone had started an online Internet and Technology Addiction Anonymous (ITAA) meeting a while back. Ask around, I'm pretty sure at least two people who attended ITAA meetings are still active in CGAA.

As members and individuals, we are each free to help others in any and every way that we are capable of helping. Many people here struggle with compulsive tech use and will be glad to give and receive help. Some people here will be willing to guide people through the steps for technology use.

As a group and a fellowship, CGAA does not try to tackle any problems other than recovery from video gaming addiction. This tradition (tradition 5, and to some extent tradition 10) is based on the trial and errors of several fellowships, including our own. Our fellowship used to be intertwined with another fellowship. Despite extremely good motivations and our best efforts to be helpful, there were recurring problems that created drama and upset over and over again. It was destructive to our environment of recovery. Members left and never came back.

Speaking for myself, I am happy to be of help. I can help advise on setting up an online meeting, creating or updating a website or webpage, getting the word out, and step working resources.

Wed May 17, 2017 1:51 pm

I've found that site Scott referenced, tried to contact them and received no response. I've heard at least one other who had the same experience. As far as a group of us know there are NO meetings for those suffering in this area.

There are a few of us in a conversation about what to do, but none of us have been through the 12 steps in this area. We're in a situation of which comes first? the chicken or the egg? We have people who need help, but no one who has been through the 12 steps and received the spiritual experience to maybe start a fellowship, which by it's nature would include CGAAs.

Okay, I completely understand the traditions. I respect the the traditions! I'm not asking CGAA to break their traditions. I'm asking people to have a heart for these suffering people and for those who have had a spiritual awakening to help us start this other fellowship that can help so many of us who are suffering in this fellowship with "technology addiction". I don't think this will divide anything. I think this will enhance the lives of so many who are suffering with these additional components of their "technology addictions" in addition to "computer gaming addiction".

Wed May 17, 2017 2:11 pm

State/Province/Country: Virginia
When I looked into ITAA, there were no online meetings, which is understandable given the type of addiction. Two (or maybe more?) CGAA members decided to start one. I haven't heard anything about it for a long while, so I thought it had probably stopped, but I wasn't sure.

I suggested asking around about it to find out if it is still happening or if people want to re-start it. I offered help with setting up a voice meeting. An online meeting seems inappropriate for ITAA, so a conference call meeting seems the way to go.

With working the steps, it sounds like people will have to find step sponsors from fellowships other than ITAA. Like I said, I think there are a few people in CGAA willing to help. There are also people in AA and NA who have helped people with other addictions work the steps, so that's another avenue to explore.

Janice, I agree that if some of us help with starting an ITAA group, it will not divide anything and will help people who are suffering. I was just being clear that those who want to help will do it as individuals and that as a CGAA group we will not be trying to address any problems other than recovery from video gaming addiction.

I'll write two people and ask them to get in touch with you.

Wed May 17, 2017 10:58 pm

State/Province/Country: The Netherlands
When NA was first formed, AA provided assistance in order for it to grow. Some alcoholics even attended the first NA meeting, so the starting fellowship had a couple of fellows with experience in their circle.

Sure, we have a heart. Just start off and ask for some support. I for one will cheerfully attend a ITAA, TAA, IAA or whateverA meeting if that means I can help the fellowship to grow.

Wed May 17, 2017 11:55 pm

Thank you both very much!

Thu May 18, 2017 9:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]