Welcome to the Original Online Meeting Group of CGAA. Visit http://cgaa.info for more information on our fellowship and program.
|View unanswered posts | View active topics||
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:14 am
All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
| Page 1 of 1
||[ 4 posts ]|
|Print view||Previous topic | Next topic|
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:54 pm
NOTE FOR LEADERS: If readings from literature are used, please use literature approved by a recovery fellowship (CGAA, AA, NA, etc) which are appropriate for recovery from gaming addiction.
SUGGESTED MEETING FORMAT:
**** Welcome to our meeting of Computer Gaming Addicts Anonymous ****
Do we have a volunteer for greeting new people that show up while the meeting is going on? (How-to at http://forum.cgaa.info/topic468.html#p3295 )
Are there any newcomers here?
* to begin sharing
** to end sharing
? indicates a question
! to volunteer as a temporary sponsor
We have meetings every day at 1:30 and 10pm EDT, also at 8:30pm Monday and Tuesday. See http://cgaa.info/online-meetings for the schedule and instructions.
We start the meeting with the Serenity Prayer:
Higher Power, Grant me The Serenity
to Accept the things I cannot Change,
the Courage to Change the things I Can,
and the Wisdom to Know the Difference.
Computer Gaming Addicts Anonymous is a fellowship of people who support each other in recovering from the problems resulting from excessive game playing. C.G.A.A. is not affiliated with any political agenda, religion, or outside interests. Our single purpose is to abstain from gaming and to help others find freedom from the effects of gaming addiction. We have no membership requirements beyond the desire to stop gaming.
Our groups share their collective experience and the principles that helped them. Each of us is free to try out or disregard the suggestions of the program and other members. We have no professionals and no affiliation with any professional or government services. Our groups are financed by voluntary contributions from members and accept no outside funding.
Our Topic: (suggest a topic here)
Discussion is not limited to the topic of the day, but encouraged. Please keep cross-talk to a minimum and try to refrain from profanity. If you are new, you can ask any questions, introduce yourself or share your struggles.
~~~~~ DISCUSSION ~~~~~~~
(Please end on time, or close to it, so that all may participate in the closing.)
Thank you all for being here and helping me stay off games one more day!
If you are new, didn't have a chance to share/weren't comfortable sharing in a bigger group, or are struggling, please type ! or feel free to stay as a number of us are available to talk or answer any questions after the meeting ends.
Each C.G.A.A. group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions. We have no dues or fees. If you are a member and would like to help with expenses, feel free to visit our http://cgaa.info/self-support webpage. (You are a member if you want to be a member and desire to stop playing video games. http://cgaa.info/twelve-traditions/ )
Our group has a discussion forum http://forum.cgaa.info and YouTube channel http://cgaa.info/stories
Does anyone have game-free time that you'd like to mention and celebrate with the group today?
If you are new or don't yet have a sponsor, we encourage you to consider getting one. Sponsorship is an informal, voluntary relationship that can be very helpful. http://cgaa.info/sponsorship/
Anyone who is available to be a temporary sponsor please indicate by typing “ ! ”
Are there any announcements for the good of CGAA?
The Thursday 1:30pm EST / 19:30 CET meeting will start meeting in mumble instead of stepchat, if there are no objections. See http://forum.cgaa.info/topic1401.html
The annual CGAA Meetup is scheduled for Fri-Mon, May 19-22. See http://cgaa.info/annual-cgaa-meetup/
We can always use meeting leaders. If you think you might like to lead a meeting, please post to the Online Meetings forum at http://forum.cgaa.info/forum11.html . We need a leader for: Sun 10pm EDT
Let's have a moment of silence for the addicted gamer who is still suffering……
(Prayer/affirmation of your choosing)
(Possible Prayer/Affirmations for the Day):
• Higher Power, Grant Us The Serenity
to Accept the things we cannot Change,
the Courage to Change the things we can,
& the Wisdom to Know the Difference.
• Please help me and another addict stay away from that first game today.
• May I be gentle with myself today. May I be open to help from higher power and the fellowship, which can lead me to recovery.
• Just for today, I accept life on life’s terms. Just for today, I am grateful for all of the blessings in my life.
• Higher Power, grant us the humility to realize our ignorance, admit our mistakes and recognize our need. Help us to praise rather than criticize, to sympathize rather than to discourage, to build rather than to destroy.
Let us hug each other (To hug one another, everyone type "hugs" into their screen).
Who you see here, what is said here, when you leave here, let it stay here.
|Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:45 pm||
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 3:06 pm
How to greet new people (whose names you don't recognize) who show up after the meeting has begun
Welcome TheirName! The meeting topic today is WhateverTheTopicIs. Are you new to meetings?
We take turns speaking one at a time and type * to say when we want to share. The topic is optional. You're welcome to introduce yourself or share your struggles.
(For mumble) Let me know if you have any technical problems with the software. We can move to a private room and sort it out.
|Tue May 05, 2015 2:07 pm||
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 4:43 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
State/Province/Country: Cleveland, Ohio
I'd like to suggest we add the list of potential topics that had been added for the meeting format previously in post topic14.html
I think having this list attached to the meeting format is important in light of the fact we have alot of new meeting leaders, and this helps not only the new leaders but the not so new ones (like me) stay focused on selecting topics in line with our meeting purpose of sharing experience, strength, and hope as it relates to gaming addiction/recovery.
TOPICS THAT CAN BE USED (ALTERNATE CHAT TOPICS WHEN THERE ARE LOTS OF NEWCOMERS):
Tonight's Topic: Getting honest: How did gaming create or worsen problems in my life?
Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, help me remember the reasons I have for NOT gaming when life starts to get good again.
Tonight's Topic: Obsession and compulsion: What have my attempts at moderation been like?
Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, help me accept the truth that moderation is just a pipe dream for me.
Tonight's Topic: The "subtle insanity that precedes the first game": What are the thoughts that trigger an irresistable compulsion to game? How can I deal with them?
Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, open my eyes to see the insanity of my addict brain, so that the truth can be less subtle and more obvious.
Tonight's Topic: One Day at a Time: What can I do to make it between now and the end of the day without starting that first game?
Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, help me trust you to take care of tomorrow and all the days after that instead of worrying about it myself.
Tonight's Topic: Asking for help: How can I reach out to the CGAA fellowship?
Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, help me remember that I'm not in this alone, and to have the humility to ask for and accept the help that's available to me.
Tonight's Topic: Living game-free: As newcomers, we suddenly have much more time on our hands and can struggle with boredom and lack of motivation to do constructive things. How can we deal with this?
Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, help me to use my free time to strengthen my recovery instead of weaken it.
Tonight's Topic: Withdrawal symptoms: What can I expect? What healthy ways can I use to deal with stress and emotional pain?
Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, help me to be realistic about the challenge I'm facing and to take good care of myself.
Tonight's Topic: Reservations: Do I have any lingering plans or ready excuses to game again? How and where am I holding myself back from trying out the suggestions in CGAA?
Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, help me remember that reservations in my program are the same as holding reservations for a relapse, and that I'm worth working the program for.
PRINCIPLE-BASED CHAT TOPICS:
Tonight's Topic: HOW...Honesty, Open-mindedness, and Willingness. Is HOW visible in my recovery? How is it visible? If not, how can I start making it more visible?
Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, help me get past the denial, pride, and self-will that try to keep me locked up in this addiction.
Tonight's Topic: Honesty and acceptance...Am I being honest about what my gaming has done to me? Can I accept myself as an addict?
Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, help me to look the truth squarely in the eye without shaming myself over it.
Tonight's Topic: Hope...What gives me hope in my recovery?
Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, help me to see the things that you're already doing in my life.
Tonight's Topic: Faith...Am I willing to expose myself to the truth no matter what the consequences of it may be?
Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, help me to trust that truth can bring freedom if I want it to.
Tonight's Topic: Courage...Are there things my HP wants me to do that I'm afraid of doing? How can I take a step toward doing those things?
Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, help me be courageous enough to take the next step you want me to take.
Tonight's Topic: Integrity...Am I willing to set aside the masks that I've worn and be who I really am?
Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, help me to put the masks down and be who you want me to be.
Tonight's Topic: Willingness...Am I willing to take suggestions and make changes in how I live my life?
Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, help me not insist on doing things my way today.
|Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:44 pm||
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 4:59 pm
Location: Colorado (Front Range Urban Corridor)
State/Province/Country: Colorado, USA
One day at a time.
Easy does it.
Progress not perfection
12 miles into the forest, 12 miles out.
Keeping to my own side of the street.
Acceptance and Serenity
• Getting honest: How did gaming create or worsen problems in my life?
• Obsession and compulsion: What have my attempts at moderation been like?
• The "subtle insanity that precedes the first game": What are the thoughts that trigger an irresistible compulsion to game? How can I deal with them?
• One Day at a Time: What can I do to make it between now and the end of the day without starting that first game?
• Asking for help: How can I reach out to the CGAA fellowship?
• Living game-free: As newcomers, we suddenly have much more time on our hands and can struggle with boredom and lack of motivation to do constructive things. How can we deal with this?
• Withdrawal symptoms: What can I expect? What healthy ways can I use to deal with stress and emotional pain?
• Reservations: Do I have any lingering plans or ready excuses to game again? How and where am I holding myself back from trying out the suggestions in CGAA?
Other TOPICS that have been used:
• What is my next step in recovery?
• Anger. Do I have less anger since I stopped gaming? How can I apply the program to dealing with my anger?
• Hope, What gives me hope for recovery?
• Relapse: What causes it?(#2)
• Patience: Making changes that last.
• Gaining Serenity
• Higher Power of my own understanding: What is a power greater than myself that can restore me to sanity.
• Rigorous Honesty
• Appreciating our recovery: What am I pleased with about my choices in recovery?
• Acceptance: How am I beginning to accept the things I cannot change?
• Wisdom: How do I tell the difference between what I can and cannot change?
• Open-mindedness: In what ways am I practicing open-mindedness.
• Trust: What do I trust to lead me to recovery?
• Doing the next right thing
• Patience and Dealing with Life As it Is. Have I become more patient after stopping gaming.
• Self-acceptance without reservations
• I never want to go back to gaming because....
• Gratitude: What am I grateful for? How can I build on what is best in my life?
• 12 miles in, 12 miles out: Taking baby steps toward recovery.
• Self-centeredness vs. self-care: how to balance them in life.
• Today, I will remember that the frustrations around me are not who I am. I can live peacefully and well
• Powerlessness over gaming addiction
• What brought you to recovery?
• Willingness and Humility
• Responsibility: How am I taking responsibility for my actions?
• Denial: Don’t Even Notice I Am Lying
• The courage to change the things I can
• Debating with my addict brain
• Living one day at a time
• Re-entry: How do I feel about real life? Am I pursuing healthy activities since stopping gaming?
• Trust: Who do I trust to help me recover?
• Staying away from the next login
• Willingness to change
• Letting go: Who & what do you need to let go of and why?
• Accepting others as they are
• Did I make insane decisions as a result of my addiction?
• Living without games
• Crazy addict thinking
• Integrity: How did I lose integrity when gaming? How am I regaining my integrity?
• Constant effort: what steps are you taking to recover?
• Changing Routines, Changing People, Places and Things (to avoid gaming)
• Re-entering real life: How am I building a new life away from games?
• Playing the tape to the end--what does that look like for me?
• How am I taking steps to be present in my recovery?
• Progress not perfection
• What's going well?
• Action. How is taking action important for my recovery?
• Being honest about where I am right now in recovery.
• Reservations: what am I holding back that might harm my recovery?
• Cravings--what do we do about them.
• Triggers. How do I avoid the things that can lead me back to gaming?
You have to go the way the way your blood beats:
If you don't live the only life you have,
You won't live some other life,
You just won't live any life at all.
I was dan1 in a former life.
|Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:04 pm||
| Page 1 of 1
||[ 4 posts ]|
All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
|You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum