Welcome to the Original Online Meeting Group of CGAA. Visit http://cgaa.info for more information on our fellowship and program.
New people can register via this link.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 2:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Step Three 

3. We made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of such power.

Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:05 pm

Step 3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of such power.

And as always, I rephrase everything to mean me: Made a decision to turn my will and my life over to the care of a higher power.

Made a decision!

The first three steps condensed down to principles can be read as:

1. I can’t

2. Higher power can

3. Made a decision to let HP do it

Step one—my own personal powerlessness over gaming—was a realization that I was at a lost in how to deal with this never-ending gaming addiction. I felt hopeless because my best efforts couldn’t manage or control what I most wanted to do.

I realized that my countless “vain attempts” to control and enjoy my gaming wasn’t working.

Step 2 lets me know that I must get beyond myself and my “plans” and learn a different way to deal with life.

Higher power in this case can be the fellowship of CGAA, it can be God, it can be a power greater than myself, or it can be the universal power that connects all of us to life.

Step 3 is a decision to stop relying on me and my brain to figure out what Step 1 tells me I can’t figure out. I decided to get rid of the false self and welcome the new self.

“Doing Step 3” means immediately working on Steps 4-9.

More will be revealed, Step Four.

Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:00 pm

State/Province/Country: Colorado, USA
Step 3 for me has been an ongoing process.

The first time I worked it, I said the prayer in the AA Big Book and then started Step 4. Got very bogged down there, and didn't continue.

Eventually I took another run at the steps. Went through 1 and 2 again. Went through 2 quite a bit deeper than before--did an inventory and went over it with my sponsor.

Step 3 was also different than before. With Step 3, I was instructed to write a Step 3 prayer of my own and say it every morning. There was some time taken at this point to meditate on what Step 3 means for me.

My experience here is consistent with what someone I know in the program said to me once: "The steps come in order for a reason." If a person is stuck on a particular step, the problem isn't that step. The problem is the step before. One thing at a time. Working a step fully means you should be ready to take the next one. If you can't take it, just go back one and work on that. This is the process that has been used with me and that I've used as well with others.

There's nothing wrong, I think, with somewhat different ways of working the steps. Some people move quickly through the first three and dive into four. That didn't work for me. Instead, an approach that took a bit more time and went deeper was what finally got me to where I did step 4. And the NA Step-working guide for Step 3 has 39 questions to answer before one moves on.

Nowadays, for me, Step 3 and Step 7 are rolled into Step 11--Do I seek knowledge of what higher power would have me do, and the power to carry that out? Each hour, each minute, is a decision to move closer to the path or farther from it. There is no middle ground. It doesn't happen once, it happens over and over. Often, I need to remind myself that my life has a higher purpose now. That I must not just look at myself and what I need or what I want or what I think. I need to turn everything over--good and bad, small and large. I'm far from doing this all the time. But that's the path. I'm slowly learning how to walk it with more consistency.

You just won't live any life at all.

I was dan1 in a former life.

reddit: DansNewLife

Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:01 pm

This decision was the hardest thing I've ever had to make. Luckily the only thing I needed to do to make the decision was to actually do the steps 4-12. Every time I work on the steps t'is a fulfillment of that decision.

Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:02 pm

State/Province/Country: ......
I am going explain my understanding of my higher power and how i see it relates to steps 2 and 3.
For me Higher Power is the source of Love and Beauty which is everywhere in the universe and i only need to change my sensor to tune myself to its existence.
I think when i ask my hp for help, i open myself to receive this love and serenity. So I trust that as long as i ask my hp for support or remind myself of its presence, i will be fine.
Step 2: I believe that hp can restore me to sanity however it didn’t wait for me to ask. It has already created the path (spirit of the universe) that I need to follow so it's my job to look for this path and follow it. I see this way of thinking doesn't exactly fit with Step 3. Till now i am not able to turn my will to the care of hp. The most i am able to do at the moment is to ask my hp to give me the strength and will-power to keep myself on the track. By doing so i am putting myself up to the care of higher power and its my responsibility to keep asking and if i stopped, i am not going to get anything!! Now when cravings are extreme and last for many days, they prevent me from asking. I forgot or i say to myself there is no harm in spending some time gaming and here where i relapse.

However what if i can do this? what if i can turn my whole life to the care of this beautiful energy? What if i can surrender my self to my higher power and believe that not everything is up to my efforts? A small part of me thinks now that this could be possible and i imagine the outcome will help me to overcome my non-stop anxiety.
Any fellow member's share will greatly help me!
Thanks

Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]