Welcome to the Original Online Meeting Group of CGAA. Visit http://cgaa.info for more information on our fellowship and program.
New people can register via this link.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 outreach to professionals 

State/Province/Country: Virginia
We're going to have monthly meetings for outreach to professionals. We'll start in October with Cleveland, contacting as many therapists, psychologists, marriage counselors, and student counselors as possible to let them know that a recovery support group for video game addiction exists in Cleveland, and that we have much support available online as well.

I suggest using the normal business meeting time of 2:30pm Eastern / 1:30pm Central on Sundays, the second Sunday of each month (the normal business meeting is on the fourth Sunday.) Let's post a schedule here:

Sunday 10/11 Outreach to Cleveland, OH
Sunday 11/15 Outreach to Sydney, Australia
Sunday 12/13 Outreach to Plano, Texas
Sunday 1/10 Outreach to Tarrytown, New York
Sunday 2/21 Outreach to Queens, New York
Sunday 3/13 Outreach to ??
Sunday 4/10 Outreach to ??
Sunday 5/8 Outreach to ??

Who wants an Outreach Day for their city? Post below and I'll add it to the schedule. We'll probably prioritize cities that already have a scheduled meeting at a designated place, before moving on to other cities.

Outreach will mostly consist of emails, maybe some phone calls, with local people visiting a few places (like addiction recovery centers, student centers, and recovery clubs.) We'll ask professionals to respond if they would like some printed fliers mailed or e-fliers emailed.

Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:58 pm

State/Province/Country: Texas, U.S.
I can not attend the November 8th meeting...to give area related info. But most months after that would be fine for the Plano, Texas meeting. Thanks for your considerations!

Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:02 pm

I sent out some emails to therapists this week and got a few responses.

Quote:
Thank you! I will let people know about this. Best wishes in your continued recovery.

Quote:
Thank you for this information. I will keep this in mind for clients who may benefit from this support.

Quote:
thanks for reaching out. I will remember this and tell other therapists I know (if you haven't already). I'm glad you're out there - it is a real problem, as you well know.

Quote:
Thank you so much for this link to a much needed support system- I will send my clients in need your way!

Quote:
Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Yes, I have been treating adolescents with video game addiction. I will keep your information and give to any client who needs the support. Thanks

Quote:
Thanks for reaching out. I will keep this information available.

Quote:
Thank you for making me aware of this group!

Quote:
Thank you Scott! I will keep your information as a resource.

Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:03 am

We had planned an outreach meeting today at 2:30pm EST. No one asked that we do outreach for their meeting or city, so I'm not sure if it's happening or not today. Maybe people will show up and do outreach for New York. We'll definitely do it next month for Plano, TX.

Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:26 am

State/Province/Country: Sydney, Australia
Hey Scott,

Is a Sydney Outreach possible? I was away at a family function this weekend and couldn't make this week, but with daylight savings changes 2:30pm EST is 6:30am for me and certainly within reach.

Let me know
Tam

Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:38 am

Yes! I'll put it on the list.

It doesn't have to be 2:30pm, although it would be nice to immediately follow a regular meeting. I think an hour or two later might work just as well. Do you want to pick a time?

Shall we do it Sunday the 15th (Monday your time)? I can announce it at meetings.

Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:31 pm

State/Province/Country: NC, USA
Scott, how well do you reccon this went 2+ years ago? Would it be worthwhile having another go at this? Or perhaps having a "Workshop" on public outreach for OOMG?

Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:13 pm

I think that any face-to-face meeting outreach translates automatically into outreach for CGAA and the online group, so I think it's best to focus on the face-to-face work.

The meetings didn't go anywhere last year. I thought it would be fun to hang out on a conference call (mumble) while each of us tackles a separate area or task or therapist listing website or whatever. Never happened. For Cleveland, we did split up the work for contacting all therapists listed in the area, but we did the email work separately.

I think if we have two or more people interested in doing outreach for a certain city, we should set a date and do it. It might just be me and you, but could still be fun.

Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]